Long Center presents #CreateInPlace
As ever, Austin is taking this time to re-invent what it means to be creative, and so are we!
Each week, #CreateInPlace will let you know where to tap into performances, artists, and what’s going on in the community to keep us all connected and inspired.
Make sure to follow us on social, @LongCenter, and sign-up for our newsletter to learn more about what our community is up to. Stay safe!
Here’s what we’re tuning into this week, May 25 – 31:
- Check out our new original series Long Story Short, featuring a conversation with Heidi Marquez Smith and Leslie Ward of the Texas Cultural Trust.
- Don’t miss the Dropkick Murphys on Friday for their free live stream performance of Streaming Outta Fenway – word on street is that Bruce Springsteen will be making a special appearance!
- The SIMS Foundation launches “Sofa Sessions” virtual live music series taking place throughout May in support of Mental Health Awareness Month.
- Theatre fans, get ready! Lincoln Center Theater has announced “Broadway Fridays” – the launch of its own initiative to stream free musicals and plays from its archives and partners.
- Join us for “Mondays with Michelle Obama” as part of the PBS KIDS Read-Alongs on Facebook where Michelle Obama will read some of her favorite children’s books.
- Just because we’re still social distancing doesn’t mean you have to miss out on book club nights! BookPeople is hosting their book clubs virtually to discuss their May and June selections.
- The Austin Chronicle rounded up original artwork from over 50 local artists to form their very own coloring book! Pre-order is available now for both digital and physical copies.
- Country rock singer-songwriter Lukas Nelson is bringing the jams to you live on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 8pm during quarantine.
- Anyone remember turntable.fm? JQBX (jukebox) is the new turntable.fm! JQBX lets you be a DJ, join a party, or just kick back and listen to music with friends or strangers from all over the world in real time. (plus, it’s 100% free and connects to your Spotify account!)
- Miss going to the movies? Don’t fear! Enjoy a movie at the Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-In in Round Rock but make sure to follow the rules for safe social distancing.
- Home Cooking is a podcast from Samin Nosrat and Hrishikesh Hirway to help you figure out what to cook (and keep you company) during the quarantine!
- Luck Presents: Prime Cuts, an interactive cooking program. Each week a host chef will present a make-at-home recipe, offering the opportunity for viewers to tune in with questions throughout the program.
- Miss working out with others? Join Outdoor Voices in #DoingThingsDigitally! The brand is partnering with your favorite studios and instructors to host weekly virtual workouts.
- Spice up your life with quarantine cooking lessons from Antoni Porowski. The Queer Eye star is posting cooking shows on his instagram page daily to help you get creative with your meals while social distancing.
Enjoy these resources and performances from our Founding Resident Companies:
- Check out Ballet Austin’s library of ON DEMAND dance and fitness classes offered at a very low cost.
- Join the Austin Opera every Friday at 3pm for their Live from Indy Terrace broadcast. This series features performances from an array of Austin Opera artists.
- Listen to past and new performances from the Austin Symphony Orchestra musicians — help us keep the music alive in Austin!
Your support today is more important than ever. As a non-profit arts organization, the Long Center relies on the community we serve. This has never been more true than during this time of event closures as our community works together to reduce the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). If you have ever been a part of any of our community events, please consider supporting the Long Center so we can continue to serve this community we know and love.