Long Center presents #CreateInPlace
The Long Center is committed to uplifting our community and being a place of gathering whether it’s in person or virtually. We’re taking this time to uplift Black businesses, restaurants, organizations, performing arts groups, and provide resources for those who would like to do more.
This is a time for continued action and accountability. Together we must listen, learn, and educate.
Here are some Black Austin arts organizations we recommend you support:
- The Spectrum Theatre Company creates professional productions that promote artistic excellence through thought provoking stories of the human condition as seen through the spectrum of the African American experience.
- Ballet Afrique is a professional contemporary dance company comprised of dedicated, passionate, and gifted artists.
- Dancin’ Jazzi is Austin’s first Black-owned and operated dance studio.
- Six Square – Austin’s Black Cultural District – works to preserve and celebrate the cultural legacy of the African American community that once thrived in Central East Austin.
Here’s what we’re tuning into this week, June 8 – 14:
- Austin Monthly has a list of Black-owned businesses we encourage you to support this week.
- Austin 360 has a list of Black-owned food businesses to grab your next take out orders from.
- Jesse Sparks with Bon Appetit put together a list of 7 virtual Mental Heath Resources supporting Black people.
- Here are five Austin organizations that offer support and resources for the Black community.
- The Texas Book Festival has a list of recommended reading about racism in the United States.
Make sure to follow us on social, @LongCenter, and sign-up for our newsletter to learn more about what our community is up to. Stay safe!