Interested students can audition for one of 25+ spots available every fall. Rehearsals are from November through April for performances at events, galas, the HAYA nomination event and – of course – the HAYA ceremony itself!
As representatives of the Greater Austin community of high school musical theatre students, the Select Ensemble performs in a multitude of settings for audiences of 20 to 2400. In addition to the performance training, students gain skills in promotions, public relations, fundraising, and producing.
Expectations Of Select Ensemble Members
- Attend all called rehearsals
- Be on time and ready to work
- Perform in at least 2 Long Center events leading up to the Awards
- Learn songs and dances in a timely manner
- Set a positive example as a representative of the HAYAs and the Long Center
- Acquire a costume based on specifications given
What Do Select Ensemble Members Get?
- Specialized training along with top students across Central Texas.
- The chance to perform for the Nomination Event and the HAYA Ceremony as the featured performers for both events.
- The chance to perform on the Long Center stage as the chosen select ensemble throughout the Awards Event.
- Opportunities to engage in Long Center performances. In previous years, students danced on stage with John Stamos and The Beach Boys, sang onstage with Audra McDonald, performed in front of celebrities and Texas arts leaders at the Texas Medal of Arts honoring Matthew McConaghey, and worked with Carol Burnett.
Auditions for 2020-21
FINAL DAY TO SUBMIT AUDITIONS: MONDAY, DECEMBER 21ST
Please submit all audition requirements in the form of “Unlisted” YouTube videos to the from below.
AUDITION MATERIALS REQUIRED FOR EVERYONE
- A ~1 minute video telling us a little about yourself! Who you are, why you like musical theatre, other things you’re passionate about, anything! We’d love to know as much about you as we cna even though we cannot have a conversation.
- Two contrasting songs from musical theatre rep (16 bar cuts). Please provide tracks for your songs if you are able. (Test the audio beforehand so you can get a good balance!)
- A one minute monologue from a contemporary published play.
- A dance audition
Dance Audition Info
- Here is the link to the dance audition teach-through video and audio.
- Please learn it, film yourself doing it like you would at a dance call and submit the video in this form as an “Unlisted” Youtube video.