Interested students can audition for one of 25+ spots available every fall. Rehearsals are from November through April for performances at Long Center events, galas, and—of course—the GAHSMTA ceremony itself!
As representatives of the Greater Austin community of high school musical theatre students, the Select Ensemble performs in a multitude of settings for audiences of 20 to 2400. In addition to the performance training, students gain skills in promotions, public relations, fundraising, and producing.
Expectations Of Select Ensemble Members
- Attend all called rehearsals
- Be on time and ready to work
- Perform in at least 2 Long Center events leading up to the Awards
- Learn songs and dances in a timely manner
- Set a positive example as a representative of the GAHSMTA and the Long Center
- Acquire a costume based on specifications given
What Do Select Ensemble Members Get?
- Specialized training along with top students across Central Texas.
- The chance to perform on the Long Center stage as the chosen select ensemble throughout the Awards Event.
- The opportunity to be invited to callbacks for Summer Stock Austin’s 2020 Season.
- Opportunities to engage in Long Center performances. In previous years, students danced on stage with John Stamos and The Beach Boys, sang onstage with Audra McDonald, and worked with Carol Burnett.
All Students are required to attend the dance call (it will be on carpet so bring appropriate shoes). Auditions last approximately 5 minutes, but each audition is different so don’t get discouraged if yours takes less time. Also be prepared for the possibility that your audition won’t begin until after your scheduled start time. Sign up for an audition, today!