The Select Ensemble is a group of students chosen to represent the Long Center education programs and perform numbers during the Awards Ceremony.
This prestigious group of students will by chosen by audition and will perform throughout the evening during the Awards Ceremony April 2017.
Eligible students are enrolled in the 2015-16 school year at a private or public school in Travis, Bastrop, Blanco, Burnet, Caldwell, Hays, or Williamson Counties.
We are partnering with Zach Theatre for auditions. Auditions will occur August 28 and 30. You may audition for just the Select Ensemble or both the Select Ensemble and Zach’s Pre-professional program. Additionally, you may be considered for our esteemed College Audition Program (CAP) based on this audition.
Auditions for the Select Ensemble are on Sunday, August 28 at ZACH Theatre or Tuesday August 30 at the Long Center. Students are expected to prepare two contrasting song cuts. There will also be a dance call.
- Songs should be 16-bar cuts in contrasting styles (ex. one ballad/one uptempo; one classic/one contemporary). Bring sheet music in the correct key.
- The dance call will take place at Sunday August 28 from 6p-7p. Bring appropriate dance clothes and jazz shoes or sneakers. Bring tap shoes if you are a tapper.
Expectations of Select Ensemble Members
- Attend all called rehearsals
- Be on time and ready to work
- Perform in Long Center events leading up to the Awards
- Learn songs and dances in a timely manner
- Set a positive example as a representative of the GAHSMTA and the Long Center
- Acquire a costume based on specifications given
What do Select Ensemble Members Get?
- Specialized training along with top students across Central Texas
- The chance to perform on the Long Center stage as the chosen select ensemble throughout the Awards Event.
- The opportunity to be invited to callbacks for Summer Stock Austin’s 2017 Season.
- Opportunities to engage in Long Center performances. Last year, students danced on stage with John Stamos and The Beach Boys and worked with and met Carol Burnett.
The Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards are presented by the Long Center for the Performing Arts with the University of Texas at Austin College of Fine Arts and ZACH Theatre, in partnership with Scholarship Program Sponsor Wells Fargo, Scholarship Underwriters The Cipione Family Foundation, Founding Sponsors Carolyn and Marc Seriff, and Media Partner KXAN.