Honoring Excellence. Building Confidence. Launching Careers.
Welcome and thank you for choosing to compete in the Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards! Please read the 2014-2015 Guidelines & Procedures to learn everything that’s required of participating schools.
- Any students who may be on stage the evening of the awards, including but not limited to: production number performers, award acceptors, production number introduction people, scholarship applicants, individual nominees, and finale participants, must sign a media release form for photos and video taken during the ceremony.
- GAHSMTA Program Ads are now available for download. Choose which format best suits your program needs.
- The Picture/Video Submission Form is now online. Please submit your video reels and cast/crew photos within two weeks of your closing performance, or by Wednesday, February 26th.
- For a detailed look at upcoming deadlines, important dates and performances, please see the official GAHSMTA Calendar.
- See the Forms and Documents page for a list of all relevant and necessary forms and documents.
- Find out more about the Select Ensemble, including performance and audition guidelines and information.
- If you have any questions, please read our Frequently Asked Questions section.
REWARDS FOR PARTICIPANTS AND PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS
Physical Awards – An engraved trophy will be presented to the winner of each award category. Students who win individual awards will receive personal trophies. Schools represented by individual student winners will receive duplicate trophies as well as school trophies won for production or group categories.
Special Prizes – Winners of the Outstanding Actor and Actress in a Lead Role will also be awarded special prizes.
Perform live on stage at the Long Center – The Second Annual Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards Ceremony will be held in Dell Hall at The Long Center for the Performing Arts. Select students from each participating school perform in the ceremony. Each school nominated for Best Musical will perform a fully orchestrated number. All nominees for Best Lead Actor and Actress perform a medley using songs from their respective roles. Opening and closing numbers will incorporate students from all participating schools as well as individual award nominees.
Written Evaluations – Comments and evaluations by adjudicators will be compiled and sent to each participating school after the awards ceremony. Similar programs have reported that these evaluations increased administrative support for specific departmental needs.
Scholarships –The scholarship program is currently in development. Details will be announced this fall.
Workshops, Master Classes, Meet the Artist – Special events may be scheduled throughout the year for participating schools.
Frequently Asked Questions
All high schools in Travis, Bastrop, Blanco, Burnet, Caldwell, Hays, and Williamson Counties are eligible to participate. Only one musical per school may be adjudicated and it must be presented between September 19, 2014 and March 2, 2015.
What’s the cost for schools and individuals?
There’s no cost to participate in the competition. Tickets for the Awards Ceremony will cost $25. Each participating school will receive 2 complimentary tickets.
Who adjudicates the competition?
A panel of qualified arts professionals will be recruited. All adjudicators will attend an extensive orientation to learn about the program and the evaluation process.
What are the award categories?
There will be 15 categories:
- Best Actor in a Lead Role
- Best Actress in a Lead Role
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role
- Best Featured Performer
- Best Ensemble
- Best Scenic Design
- Best Costume Design
- Best Lighting Design
- Best Choreography
- Best Musical Direction
- Best Orchestra
- Best Technical Execution
- Best Direction
- Best Production
What’s expected of a participating school?
- Designate a primary teacher contact and two (2) student liaisons
- Submit completed forms as they come due
- Designate two (2) students to perform in the finale
- Produce a full-length musical within the designated time period
- Arrange for complimentary tickets for adjudicators
- Submit an archival DVD, a 10-minute reel, a copy of the playbill and show poster, and a group photo within a week after closing performance.
- Submit photos of nominees
- Submit orchestral scores for nominated categories
For a more detailed look at these expectations, please see the official Guidelines and Procedures.
What if I have additional questions?
If you have any questions about the Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards that were not covered in this FAQ, download and read this years copy of the Guidelines & Procedures.
Please direct additional inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards are presented by the Long Center for the Performing Arts with the University of Texas at Austin College of Fine Arts and ZACH Theatre, in partnership with the Austin Aztex, Scholarship Sponsor Wells Fargo, Founding Sponsors Carolyn and Marc Seriff, and Media Partner KXAN.