- Fri, Mar. 23
- Sat, Mar. 24
- Sun, Mar. 25
- Thu, Mar. 29
- Fri, Mar. 30
- Sat, Mar. 31
- Sun, Apr. 1
- Thu, Apr. 5
- Fri, Apr. 6
- Sat, Apr. 7
- Sun, Apr. 8
13 and Up
The Long Center is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit dedicated to broadening the appreciation and enhancing the enjoyment of the cultural arts.
The Long Center and Theatre en Bloc present the World Premiere of The Secretary, an offbeat comedy written by Kyle John Schmidt, March 23 – April 8 in Rollins Studio Theatre.
When an elderly secretary at the local high school confronts a threat in her office with six bullets, the local gun company responds by naming their latest gun after the reluctant hero: The Secretary. But as production begins on The Secretary, guns start going off all around town—and no one’s pulling the trigger. The Secretary is an offbeat comedy about safety, survival, and guns in a world that’s up in arms.
The Long Center is thrilled to present the World Premiere of this original piece in partnership with Theatre en Bloc. In line with TEB’s mission to produce quality theatre that is relevant to communities and situations in Austin, TX, there will also be an Optional Talk Back after each performance about guns and gun culture.
- There is an Open Seating Policy for this production. Seating begins with Group A, then groups B, C, D, and E, respectively. Patrons may sit in any available seat upon entering the theatre.
- Please note, there will be no late seating for this production. Latecomers may take their seats during Intermission.
- All patrons, regardless of age, require a ticket to attend the performance.
- This production is recommended for ages 13 and up.
The Secretary features an all-female cast, including:
- Babs George*
- Elise Ogden*
- Amber Quick
- Liz Beckham
- Susan Myburgh
- Regan Goins
*Actors appearing Courtesy of Actors Equity Association
- Directed by Jenny Lavery
- Production Management by Blake Addyson
- Lighting Design by Rachel Atkinson
- Set Design by Cheraya Esters
- Costume Design by Jenny Hanna-Chambers
- Stage Management by Joshua Secor
- Photography by Errich Petersen
- Graphic Design by Scottie Ferguson
- Jenny Lavery, Producing Artistic Director.
“Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.” —Fred A. Roff, Jr., President, Colt Patent Fire Arms Company, 1959
The Secretary is funded in part by the cultural Arts Division of the City of Austin Economic Development Department and Scriptworks Finer Point Funding for New Play Development.
About Theatre en Bloc
Theatre en Bloc is a professional theatre company with a history of producing quality theatre that is relevant to communities and situations in Austin, TX. Founded by Jenny Lavery in 2011, TEB is led by the belief that great art inspires great communities. Our mission is to create and share elegantly rendered theatrical events, both new and extant, that collide with the question: What does it mean to be alive in the world today?
To date, TEB has created, developed and produced 7 original works as well as produced 7 regional premieres, garnering 80+ awards and nominations for their work. TEB has been named Company To Watch, named on several of the Chronicle’s Best in Theatre lists, and won Fontera short fringe both years entered with the original Violet Crown shadow puppet folk musicals. TEB has done national residencies developing new work, and taught at all of the local colleges.
Questions? Call the 3M Box Office at (512) 474-LONG (5664), TTY (800) 735-2989.