photo credit: Suzanne Cordeiro
The Select Ensemble is a group of students chosen to represent the Long Center education programs and perform numbers during the Awards Ceremony.
The Greater Austin High School Musical Theater Awards Select Ensemble provides an exciting opportunity for passionate and dedicated high school students to represent the Long Center’s education programs as ambassadors throughout the year! Each fall, interested students audition for the honor of receiving one of the 25+ spots available in that year’s Select Ensemble, which rehearses from November through April for performances at Long Center events, galas, and—of course—the GAHSMTA ceremony itself. As representatives of the Greater Austin community of high school musical theatre students, the Select Ensemble opens the awards show and performs a medley during the ceremony. The Select Ensemble performs in a multitude of settings for audiences of 20 to 2400. In addition to the performance training, students gain skills in promotions, public relations, fundraising, and producing.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 6
The Long Center
Kodosky Lounge, Mezzanine Level
Time Slots: 10:30 – 6:00 pm
Dance Call: 6:30 – 8:30 pm
ALL Students are required to attend the dance call. It will be on carpet so bring appropriate shoes.
Make sure to bring:
- Two songs from musical theatre rep (16-bar cuts) in contrasting styles (ex. one ballad/one uptempo; one classic/one contemporary). Bring sheet music in the correct key. We will have an accompanist, so please do not sing with a track or a capella.
- A one minute monologue
- Head shot and resume
- Appropriate shoes
Please arrive at least 15 minutes early for your time slot.
You will be in the audition room for about 5 minutes. Each audition is different, so please do not get discouraged if your are only in the room for a short period of time. Be prepared for the possibility you will wait longer than your scheduled audition time.
This link will take you to a different page. After completing the form, you will be asked to click on a link to choose a time slot for your audition.
Expectations of Select Ensemble Members
- Attend all called rehearsals
- Be on time and ready to work
- Perform in at least 2 Long Center events leading up to the Awards
- Learn songs and dances in a timely manner
- Set a positive example as a representative of the GAHSMTA and the Long Center
- Acquire a costume based on specifications given
Dates and times are subject to change
What do Select Ensemble Members Get?
- Specialized training along with top students across Central Texas
- The chance to perform on the Long Center stage as the chosen select ensemble throughout the GAHSMTA Awards Show.
- The opportunity to be invited to callbacks for Summer Stock Austin’s upcoming season.
- Opportunities to engage in Long Center performances. In previous years, students danced on stage with John Stamos and The Beach Boys, sung onstage with Audra McDonald, and worked with Carol Burnett.
The Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards are presented by the Long Center for the Performing Arts with the University of Texas at Austin College of Fine Arts and ZACH Theatre, in partnership with Scholarship Program Sponsor Wells Fargo, Scholarship Underwriters The Cipione Family Foundation, Founding Sponsors Carolyn and Marc Seriff.