School has started and fall is upon us. . . and that means it’s time to put the 4th Annual Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards on your calendar—Thursday, April 13, 2017! A little early? Maybe, but you better believe that we’re counting down the days until the best and brightest of our musical high school students see their names in lights on Dell Hall stage.
With plenty of nominating categories—ranging from direction, design, lighting, acting, and culminating in the coveted award for Best Production—a total of 31 area high schools will vie for recognition in this Tony Awards-style ceremony. Get to know the participating productions in your area, and stay tuned for the Nomination Ceremony in March as we begin the official countdown to Awards Day!
What’s up for nomination in the spring?
From classics to new-ies to oldie but goodies, we’ve got it all! Check out these participating productions from Greater Austin’s talented high schools (and catch a pair of tickets for yourself, while you’re at it).
- Akins High School – Rock of Ages 101: High School Edition, opens December 8
- Anderson High School – Still deciding, but we can’t wait!
- Austin High School – Xanadu, opens January 14
- Bastrop High School – Disney’s The Little Mermaid, opens October 27
- Brentwood Christian School – Cinderella Enchanted, opens October 15
- Cedar Creek High School – You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown, opens November 10
- Cedar Park High School – Cabaret, opens November 3
- Cedar Ridge High School – CATS, opens January 26
- David Crockett High School – The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, opens January 19
- Del Valle High School – Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, opens November 5
- Dripping Springs High School – My Fair Lady, opens January 26
- East View High School – Big Fish, opens January 20
- Elgin High School – Little Shop of Horrors, opens January 20
- Georgetown High School – Into the Woods, opens January 26
- Hendrickson High School – In the Heights, opens January 21
- Jack C. Hays High School – Into the Woods, opens November 10
- James Bowie High School – The Who’s TOMMY, opens January 12
- Katherine Anne Porter School – Pippin, opens December 1
- Lake Travis High School – Disney’s The Little Mermaid, opens February 1
- LBJ/LASA High School – Nice Work If You Can Get It, opens January 13
- Leander High School – Pippin, opens January 19
- Lehman High School – Our House, opens November 10
- Marble Falls High School – Cinderella (Broadway Version), opens January 26
- McCallum Fine Arts Academy – Me and My Girl, opens February 23
- McNeil High School – Barnum, opens January 26
- Round Rock High School – The Goodbye Girl, opens January 12
- Rouse High School – In the Heights, opens January 19
- St. Stephen’s Episcopal School – Pippin, opens February 23
- Vandegrift High School – Oliver!, opens January 12
- Vista Ridge High School – Thoroughly Modern Millie, opens January 19
- Westwood High School – Once Upon a Mattress, opens January 12
Join us as we recognize tomorrow’s stars of the stage, and pay tribute to the value and talent of musical theatre and arts education in our community. Here’s to GAHSMTA 2017!