April 14th, 2015 marked the Second Annual Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards at the Long Center- and we learned that Austin students are hella talented. But among the showstopping performances, the ear-deafening cheers, and the moving videos and speeches, we learned a few other things, as well…
10. There’s no wrong way to pronounce GAHSMTA. But there’s a lot of really awkward ways to pronounce it.
9. Theatre kids will, at any time, shriek and fangirl when Kristen Chenoweth appears on screen. Even if she adorably butchers the name of the awards ceremony.
8. When in doubt, close with “One Singular Sensation” from A Chorus Line. Show. Stopper.
7. Never underestimate the power of the spirit fingers.
6. It’s hard to top the love that musical theatre kids have for their directors- and/or Ginger Morris.
5. There’s no quicker way to get teenagers’ attention than to put out a photo booth. And pizza.
4. We may not be able to get #GAHSMTA trending on Twitter, but we can get prettttty darn close.
3. Need a round of applause or a deafening cheer? Mention any one of the 26 participating high schools.
2. Put out a red carpet and a photographer and see hundreds of teenagers change from t-shirts and jeans to black tie formal wear in seconds.
1. Everyone started somewhere- and the Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards are where hundreds of future Tony award winners did it.
Honorable Mention: You can always count on Broadway stars for moral (and social media) support.